Engineering Guide Specifications
For Energy Wall™ Energy Recovery Products
Section 15700 - Mechanical HVAC - Ventilation - Energy Recovery
Section 23 72 19 Fixed Plate Air to Air Energy Recovery Equipment
- Mechanical HVAC ventilation equipment shall contain a fixed plate type energy recovery system, preinstalled and tested by the manufacturer. Energy Wall™ is the basis of design.
- Furnish owner's manuals covering installation, maintenance, and operation.
- Manufacturer shall warrant the energy recovery system to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 5 years after installation.
- The energy recovery system shall be based on a high efficiency fixed plate type energy recovery core with dynamic heat and moisture transfer.
- All materials used in the energy recovery cores shall be natural and 100% recyclable. Use of exotic materials, chemicals, or rare earth elements is unacceptable.
- The energy recovery cores must be constructed in a sustainable way, producing no hazardous effluent or unrecyclable waste.
- Manufacturer shall offer cleaning and recharging services to refurbish used energy recovery cores.
- Energy Recovery Cores
- The energy recovery cores shall be constructed using an advanced energy transfer membrane capable of transferring both heat and moisture between air streams with at least 80% total efficiency when installed and operated according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- The energy transfer membrane shall be made of a specially formulated paper, processed to form a semi-permeable membrane that creates a positive barrier between air streams, while facilitating the transfer of heat and moisture across the membrane.
- The energy recovery cores shall be made of an energy transfer membrane that is machine folded, with layers separated by a machine folded corrugated net poly-spacer that provides the proper support and separation to the membrane layers, while producing sufficient air turbulence to increase energy transfer efficiency and prevent particulate buildup.
- The energy recovery core's membrane layers shall be ultrasonically bonded, without the use of chemicals, tapes or adhesives, to form clear air passages.
- The energy transfer membrane shall be impregnated with Lithium Chloride to actively facilitate the transfer of moisture between air streams.
- The energy transfer membrane shall act as a natural microbiocide, actively killing up to 95% of microbes on contact and preventing cross-contamination between air streams. The microbiocide action shall be documented by an appropriate third party testing laboratory. Microbial growth prevention treatments are not sufficient.
- The energy transfer cores shall be capable of operating from 0° to 140°F, and will be frost-proof down to -40°F, and shall survive temperatures from -40°F to +150°F without damage.
- The energy recovery cores shall be washable and rechargeable.
- The housing of the energy recovery cores shall be constructed of a suitable material capable of protecting the energy transfer core and preventing corrosion.
- Energy Recovery System
- The energy recovery system shall consist of single or multiple fixed plate energy recovery cores designed for counter-flow operation within each core. Cross-flow cores are less efficient and are therefore unacceptable.
- The energy recovery cores shall have entrance and exit manifolds that allow for straight or transverse air flow within the air handler as specified.
- When stacked, the energy recovery cores shall have interlocking connectors to seal the air passages between the cores, and allow easy assembly / disassembly within the air handler.
- The energy recovery system shall have no moving parts or active seals required for operation, other than bypass dampers.
- The energy recovery system shall be capable of minimum total efficiencies of 80% when installed and operated in accordance with manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations.
- Efficiency ratings shall be based on AHRI Certified testing.
- Exhaust and fresh air streams shall have MERV 1 washable filters to prevent larger particulate contamination from entering the energy recovery cores.
- The energy recovery system shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations and applicable published documents.
- Commissioning of the system shall be by a qualified, factory trained representative or qualified, licensed contractor, and shall include a training session for owner's maintenance personnel if requested.
- Energy recovery system shall be Energy Wall™, as manufactured by:
Energy Wall™, LLC
1002 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster, PA 17601
NOTE: Due to Energy Wall's policy of continuous product improvement, these specifications are subject to change without notice.